Saturday, January 2, 2010

Snips, as heard, from the Clark Coolidge's "The Crystal Text"


"steel in the hand of the migrant borrowers"
*
"The size of the world does not matter."
*
"My words have always been written across vast distances.
I've often not known what I had in my hand."
*
"beacons occulting in fog swaths of the furthest sandspit"
*
"Ear living in cleavage of wheat remnant.
Hearing caught on a lozenge of calcite."
*
"the floor is strong stone
and you're going to smell the slump"
*
"I wanted to see things until their names appeared and led.
It didn't seem that it would amount to a paper life."
*
"a strong stone of mention"
*
"a handout in the well of the dream,
a hell of the wrongly inhabited apparel court"
*
"self-stroked fire"
*
"I want the lines to dive"
*
"roars in heaven
in nodules of the apple
throat 
commit leaves"
*
"and I can hear the slightest curve of the tongue,
kitchen clatter in leer"
*
"Should I really have to know what kind of sentence I like?"
*
"The crystal is a house one is inhabited by."
*
"a Balthus land letter,
all my tomorrows in a single vein of sand
or sound
or grained light"
*
"If only speech could talk."
*
"Linkages are not all supports.
Sometimes some things just sit."
*
"this whole, this barnlike settled city"
*
"not to know how to empty the hen"
*
"The postman opened his palm.
There was a date. There was a stretched stone."
*
"I'm of a mind that
a mire in me makes"
*
"Still, I didn't have to imagine blimps
when they all hung in the sky
like a war I knew nothing about.
Brighter days when I was dim."
*
"What is a word's name?"
*
"If I am asked what I'm doing
I look, and make up for that person."
*
"Forgetfulness allows me to move"
*
"The way thought about writing is always afterthought.
He waited behind the empty car
to think of what he might have done."
*
"A morning with no daytime to halt it.
A peek into the side of the glassine sea."
*
"The beachfront with the wallpaper.
A smile with a scissored crab."
*
"a certain alga contains rotating selenites"
*
"collapsed in a calypso of eclipses"
*
"terribly sad but a great big fat fact"
*
"investigation of a fraud was itself one"
*
"We know, and we hone no endings."
*
"Cattlecar mottled with starlings,
firetruck gilding out of harm's way.
A vote for fog."
*
"We have focused so much on meanings we are left with maybes."
*
"Crystal with terraces for fastening cloud cracks."
*
"birds of a feather,
capillary banter,
irradiant hue"
*
"to see light as a fire"
*
"The house on Oxen Street with the boards stained scarlet."
*
"We must come home again and again
endlessly same day."
*
"The precision bungling of all thought matters."
*

I wrote these down as I heard them at Spare Room's marathon reading of Clark Coolidge's The Crystal Text on December 19th, at the Waypost Cafe in Portland. Some of these are sure to be misheard and misquoted; the punctuation and linebreaks are all guesswork. The reading was a delight. Rodney Koeneke wrote about it here. More snips soon.




No comments: